Tuesday, April 24, 2018

GETTING LOOPY IS BACK!!

A Favorite Crochet Podcast Has Returned



When I first started crocheting back 2009, I also discovered crochet podcasts. As I mentioned in my last post, there aren't many now, and there weren't many back then either. But my favorite was Getting Loopy with designer and teacher Mary Beth Temple. Many of us hookers were sad when she pulled the plug on her show in 2011. You can imagine how thrilled I was to discover that she's BACK!! Mary Beth started producing new episodes in January, but I just found out about it a couple weeks ago. Check out Getting Loopy 2.0 on Blogtalk Radio. You'll find both current and archive episodes there. Usually, she has a guest to interview, but sometimes she's by herself holding forth on what's happening in the world of crochet. Don't miss next week's episode when her guest is one of my favorite designers and someone I'm glad to call my friend - Vashti Braha! You can listen live at 9 pm Eastern time or listen to the recorded episode at your leisure.

Fun Hat Pattern


While scrolling through patterns on Ravelry in search of something fun for chemo caps, I ran across the Leaping Stripes and Blocks Beanie by Tamara Kelly. Tamara is the author of the well known Moogly blog, and you can also find the pattern there. I liked the idea of a pattern with stripes because I can use up some of the small balls of leftover yarn lurking in my closet. This turned out to be a great pattern. It's easy to follow and produces a hat with great texture that almost looks woven. I made a minor change in my version. I didn't like how my ribbing was coming out (my fault not the pattern's) so I did an extra pattern repeat then Tamara's ending round. I finished it off with a round of slip stitches. What do you think? I'm very happy with the result and will definitely make more of these. The pattern comes in 3 sizes so you can make one for the whole family. 

      

I like to make hats as charity projects because they're small, portable and quick to finish. What's your favorite charity project?


1 comment:

Comments will be moderated before posting. Thanks for your patience.