Sunday, August 14, 2016

Granny Square Day 2016

Hello, everyone!  Did you know that tomorrow (Aug. 15) is Granny Square Day? I didn't until I heard it mentioned on the Skein Enable podcast. I found this post on Facebook about it. The idea is to make a granny square and post a photo on Instagram to help create a virtual blanket. Sounds like fun to me! So grab a hook and some yarn, create a square for the worldwide blanket and post it on Instagram if you play in that forum. If not, make a granny square anyway! If you want to follow me on Instagram, I'm Greenhook over there too.

Speaking of granny squares, I spent several hours yesterday teaching people to crochet including making granny squares. It was the local Knit Out and Crochet - an event started by the Craft Yarn Council in 1998. I'm a member of Always In Stitches which is a chapter of the Crochet Guild of America, and we participate in the Knit Out and Crochet event every year. We teach people to crochet and help them to improve skills they already have. It's always a good time spreading the crochet love. 

Judy spent the day at the registration table checking people in.
 

Karen had a table with kids' activities. It's quiet in the photo, but it saw a lot of action with kids making pompom and pipe cleaner people.


Here I am with my new friend Gwen. She was so excited to learn how to make a classic granny.


I made this placemat incorporating African hexagon flower motifs and the 3dc granny cluster as an example of items that can be made with squares. It's also a great way to use up leftover yarn.


 Thanks for stopping by!

3 comments:

  1. Ooooo, the placemat is so pretty I'd hate to spill anything on
    that would stain!

    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looked like a fun event! Ditto to Gina's comment above - what a lovely placemat.

    Thanks for the bird ID from my blog post - I had no idea what the bird was, but having looked it up, you're right, it's a downy woodpecker.

    It was great to meet you and Dennis last week. I wish we could have had more time to talk. I loved hearing the stories from your former jobs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great having some time to chat with you too. We'll hope for longer next time.

      Glad my natural resources degree got put to use identifying that woodpecker!

      Delete

Comments will be moderated before posting. Thanks for your patience.